What is a Charter School?
The Association of Alberta Public Charter Schools has released the following informative video to advocate for the excellent work charter schools do within the province of Alberta, and to clarify misconceptions people have about charter schools. Please click on the link to access these engaging and informative video clips.
Suzuki Charter School is a public school committed to Academic, Personal, and Musical Excellence. Our students follow the Alberta Curriculum while also partaking in the unique opportunity to play orchestral instruments as part of their education.
As an open-boundary school, we welcome students from all over the Greater Edmonton Regional District and beyond.
Open Applications are currently being accepted for the 2022/23 school year.
To participate in the Open Application and Registration, parents are welcome to complete a Open Application Form (Digital) or Open Application Form (Printable) at any time throughout the year. These forms are held until the end of September of the applicable school year. (Please note that if you wish to register your child for Kindergarten in the 2022/23 school year, your child needs to be 5 or turning 5 by December 31, 2022.)
For more information about registration, please contact our School Secretary, Lisa Leflar, at 780.468.2598.
Application and Registration Process
Suzuki Charter School is a public elementary school nestled in the beautiful Capilano neighbourhood. As an open-boundary school, we welcome students from Kindergarten to Grade Nine from all over the greater Edmonton area. At Suzuki Charter School we believe that "every child can" succeed within our nurturing mastery-focused environment and therefore there are no tests or auditions required for entrance to our program.
- Step 1: In-House Registration:
- Kindergarten - Grade 6: Our registration process begins in December as we complete our priority registration with our returning students, siblings, staff members' children, and, if spaces allow, alumni children or students who live in the Suzuki Community Boundary.
- Grades 7 - 9: Due to limited spaces, Junior High registration will be completed using an online form that date-stamps applications; spaces will be filled based on the order they are received.
- Step 2: Open Application Lottery:
- Kindergarten - Grade 6: Once In-House Registration is completed, available spaces are calculated and filled using an Open Application Lottery random selection process that begins the day after our Open House and continues any time space becomes available (if a student withdraws enrollment or declines a space) until the end of September. We do not transfer students in mid-year (after September 30th) even if spaces become available due to the structure of our programming.
- Grades 7 - 9: In the event there are available spaces, Junior High registration will be completed using an online form that date-stamps applications; spaces will be filled based on the order they are received.
To participate in the Registration Process, parents are welcome to complete a Digital Registration Application Form or Hard Copy Registration Application Form at any time throughout the year. These forms are held until the end of September of the applicable school year.
Documentation Information Needed to Complete Registration:
Parents of all students entering Suzuki Charter School will need to provide/complete the following:
- Completed Registration form with student/parent demographic information
- Government issued identification proving legal name and age of your child (Canadian Birth Certificate, Passport, Landed Immigrant, Permanent Resident Card etc.)
- Attendance at Registration Day parent orientation workshop (TBD)
- Proof of registration for individual music lessons with a Suzuki trained teacher - Please note: ALL students attending Suzuki Charter School are required to attend regular individual music lessons with a Suzuki trained teacher who utilizes the Suzuki Method and Suzuki repertoire.
- For students entering SCS in Grades 1 - 9, a copy of their most recent report card and a Request for Student Record Transfer form must also be provided.
Usually we welcome interested families to join us for our annual Open House which takes place on the first Thursday of February each year. At our Open House, potential families have an opportunity to hear more details about our program, enjoy student and group performances, meet our administration, and participate in tours led by our enthusiastic student leaders. At this time, interested parents are also welcome to add their child's name to the lottery for the upcoming school year. This year we welcome parents to check out our virtual open house information linked to our website on February 3, 2022.